Pages

Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Hungarian Cabbage Noodles



I always told my mother that I wanted her recipe box.  It was full of recipes from her, my 3 grandmothers and I believe one of my great grandmothers.  There were even some that my sisters and I brought home from school.

So, when my mother passed, my father gave me the box which I will pass on to my only biological daughter.

I don't remember if my mother ever made this dish but the recipe is in her handwriting.

I made these with Parmesan Baked Pork Chops.

This Hungarian comfort-food is a simple recipe to make, consisting of cabbage, onion, butter, egg noodles, salt, and pepper and caraway seeds.

The first step is to get your noodles cooking then you can do everything else while you wait for them.


While your noodles are cooking, you can shred your cabbage and dice your onions.  Or if you prefer, buy them already prepared.




Once that is done, you're going to melt your butter in a large skillet.


You will then saute the onion.


After which, you will add the cabbage, salt, pepper and caraway seeds.


You will let that cook until cabbage is tender. Then you will drain the noodles and add them to the skillet and mix.


Serve with your choice of meat or as a main dish.



Unfortunately, my mother did not include the prep or cooking times or serving size.  I didn't pay much attention when I was making it but from other recipes I found online, 
 this dish can be done in just over an hour.  I made this for my husband and me and it was more than enough.


Hungarian Cabbage Noodles


Ingredients:
8 oz egg noodles
6 tbsp butter
1 lg onion, chopped
1 head of cabbage
Salt and pepper to taste
1/4 tsp caraway seeds

Directions:
1.  Prepare noodles according to package directions
2.  Melt butter in large skillet; add onion and saute until transparent
3.  Rinse cabbage in cold water and add to onion
4.  Sprinkle in salt, pepper and caraway seeds
5.  Cover skillet and steam until cabbage in tender
6.  Drain noodles, add to cabbage, and mix together
7. Serve

Enjoying my recipes?
REMEMBER, LIKE, COMMENT, TWEET, PIN AND SHARE!!!
(¯`v´¯)
`*.¸.*´
¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•.•:*¨¨*:•..•:*¨¨*:•..•:*¨¨*:•..•...
┊  ┊  ☆
┊  ★
☆☆ Like  “Share”  Comment  Repost Tag Join Whip it Up Recipes

No comments:

Post a Comment